We Are Scouting Top Writers
Are you passionate about fitness and have something to say? Reach a huge online community and get the discussion going - start writing for Tabata Times today!
Dave Castro is Director of the CrossFit Games and co-director of training for CrossFit. He has been involved with CrossFit since 2006 when he was stationed in Monterey, California, as a Navy SEAL, and he was instrumental – accidentally – in helping to create the CrossFit Games:
Early in 2007, I came back to Aromas and invited Coach Glassman to come out to my parents’ ranch. We were walking around, and he really liked the place. He said, “We should have some sort of event out here. We’ll call it the Woodstock of Fitness.” We talked about it and we wanted CrossFit events, people camping and just having a big party. It was a small event; we just invited the best that we knew in the CrossFit community, and in July, we had our first-ever Games. … At that first Games, we had 50 or 60 athletes and 100 spectators. We had fun but had no idea what we were in for or what we were creating.
You know the CrossFit Games have grown fast since that first edition in 2007. But did you realize how fast?
- In 2011, the CrossFit Games Open format debuted.
- More than 26,000 athletes signed up to compete.
- In 2012, 69,240 people signed up to compete in the Open.
- In 2013, 138,000 people registered to compete.
- That is a year over year growth rate of 166% and 99%, respectively, with women’s growth in participation outpacing men’s (129% to 109%).
- Demonstrating CrossFit’s increasing popularity with older athletes, more than 20% of all participants in 2013 were Masters (40+).
Read all the stats — including cool growth charts — in How Fast Are the CrossFit Games Growing? The Numbers Tell the Story.
Our event calendar lets you create your own event listing for any type of event - throwdown, adventure race, seminar, you name it. For free. In 2 minutes. It's as easy as writing a Facebook post. And you can embed the calendar right on your website.
Try it today!
on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook