Shakeology is a protein preparation which contains many vitamins and other nutrients, and which is commonly presented as a complete meal replacement. It is said to be able to substitute an actual meal, due to its rich nutrient composition. Other advantages that are commonly claimed by the marketers of shakeology include:
• Weight loss: it is claimed that shakeology can assist in the shedding of excess weight. By replacing one meal each day with a glass of shakeology, it is commonly reported that a significant shedding of excessive fat can be achieved.
• Elimination of hunger pangs: shakeology according to its users, can eliminate the feeling of hunger when ingested. This also helps in achieving weight loss through the reduction of food intake.
• Increased energy: users of shakeology commonly report that drinking a glass of shakeology makes them feel more energetic throughout the day.
• Mental effects: the improvement of thinking, mood and memory.
Shakeology is produced and marketed by beachbody, an American company which sells products for home exercises and physical fitness. The product is available for purchase on their website. There are many shakeology recipes which are widely used.
Shakeology nutrition facts:
Shakeology is a protein preparation with vitamins, and other nutrients. The principal shakeology ingredients include:
Whey protein: shakeology contains about 1500 mg of whey protein isolate. This is a protein isolate that is prepared from milk by separating its components. Whey protein isolate contains a very high percentage of protein, and it is very easily absorbed by the body. Whey protein is prepared by two methods. One method involves the use of ion exchangers and ph changes to separate the components of the whey stream. The other method involves the use of membrane filtration for this purpose. Whey protein is digested and absorbed very rapidly. This makes it very popular among sports men.
Phytonutrients blend: shakeology contains 1800mg of phytonutrients.these are nutrient compounds derived from plants. Shakeology has many phytonutrients derived from a variety of plant sources. These include:
• Chlorella: this is an extract from a species of blue green algae. It is very rich in protein. It is also believed to fortify the immune system, and protect against cancer.
• Spirulina: this is also another species of alga. The extract is very rich in protein. It is also said to protect against allergies, improve the blood pressure, fortify the immune system and protect against cancers.
• Spinach powder: spinach is a green leafy vegetable. It is rich in vitamins and minerals such as : Vitamin B2, B6, magnesium, iron, folate, calcium,copper, and potassium.
• Wheat grass: this extract is very rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and the B complex vitamins. It is also rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and potassium. it has the full complement of essential amino acids. It is said to be a powerful detoxifier. It also has anticancer effects.
• Barley grass: this is rich in dietary fiber, calories, protein, some vitamins, and nutrients like manganese and phosphorus.
Antioxidant blend: shakeology has a blend of natural antioxidants. This amounts to about 1750mg. the antioxidants include:
• Acerola : this is derived from the plant malpighia emarginata. It contains many vitamins such as vitamin c and vitamin b complex. It is also rich in carotenoids and bioflavonoids. This makes it have a very potent antioxidant effect.
• Camu camu: this is derived from the camu camu plant that grows in brazil. The extract has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. It is commonly used in the management of some viral infections, and in the relief of asthma.
• Lyceum powder: this is traditionally used to treat inflammatory conditions.
Herb blend: it contains a blend of natural herbs( 1675mg) which include:
• Astralagus powder: this has a beneficial effect on the immune system
• Cordyceps: this is a species of fungus which grows in Tibet. The extract is said to have an anticancer effect.
• Reishi powder: this is derived from the reishi mushroom. It is said to have a beneficial effect on the immune system, as well as a potent anticancer effect.
Fruit powder: shakeology contains a fruit powder blend. The following fruit powders are present:
• Banana fruit powder
• Pineapple fruit powder
• Carrot fruit powder
• Strawberry fruit powder
Prebiotics: these are preparations of microorganisms which are of benefit to the human body. The prebiotics in shakeology include:
• Bifodobacterium longum: this has a beneficial effect on the human gut.
• Lactobacillus acidophilus: this microorganism can be used to relieve some gut conditions like ulcerative colitis.
• Streptococcus thermophilus: this bacterium can also have a beneficial effect in intestinal conditions like ulcerative colitis. It may help in the management of some types of cancers.
What are possible disadvantages of shakeology?
Shakeology is used by many people on account of its perceived beneficial effects. However, there are some concerns to its use which include the following:
• The product has not been subjected to intensive scientific analysis to ascertain the effectiveness of all its components.
• In people who are suffering from immune suppression, the consumption of some types of probiotics may be dangerous. This is the case for people suffering from HIV and some types of cancers.
• There are concerns about possible contaminations in some of the herbal constituents at the site of origin.
• There are also concerns about some of the proteins in the whey protein constituent. It is feared that they may be denatured by ph changes during the extraction process, thereby diminishing their potency.
• Not all the components have been formally approved for use in humans.
• The cost of each serving at about 4 US dollars my not be too cost effective for some people.
Shakeology is a widely used nutrient shake which can act as a meal substitute. Shakeology reviews by users show a wide range of beneficial effects from the use of shakeology. There are many shakeology alternatives, but perhaps none of them has the same nutrient value as shakeology. There are many shakeology recipes for lovers of the product.